Position Title: Registered Nurse –Charge Nurse
Reports To: Director of Nursing
Effective Date: November 30, 2012
Position Description: Supervises the day-to-day nursing activities of the facility in accordance with current federal, state, and local standards governing the facility, and as may be directed by the Director of Nursing, to ensure that the highest degree of quality care is maintained at all times. Exercises supervisory authority, even at times when the DON is on duty and must use discretion and independent judgment to ensure proper discipline and productivity.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduate of an accredited school for Registered Nursing and currently licensed as an RN in Georgia. Three to five years of recent RN supervisory experience, must be able to supervise and instruct others, and to exercise independent judgment. Able to read and write in English, to understand and follow written and oral instructions, and able to communicate with residents, personnel, vendors, and consultants. Must be at least 21 years of age, have a valid Class C Georgia Driver’s License, proof of vehicle insurance, and meet company policy regarding MVR requirements. Must meet state requirements regarding a Georgia, National, and FBI criminal history record check which requires fingerprinting. Must undergo and pass a drug screening, and screening for Tuberculosis and Hepatitis B. Must have current CPR/First Aid certification in accordance with state regulations.
- Organizational Ethics and Compliance
- Customer Service
- Safety and Security
- Job Knowledge
- Problem Solving
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Will work with resident with development disabilities.
- Directs the day-to-day functions of nursing activities.
- Assists with the orientation of new staff.
- Participates in developing, maintaining and updating nursing policies and procedures. Facilitates the implementation process of same.
- Evaluates resident complaints to determine the appropriate plan of care, communicates with physicians and other healthcare provides as necessary to ensure timely treatment and resolution.
- Maintains privacy and confidentiality; treats residents with kindness, dignity, and respect; and ensures that all nursing personnel know and comply with the Resident’s Rights rules.
- Communicates medical information, change in resident health status, and health related concerns to the resident’s family/guardian.
- Performs and/or supervises the medication administration processes, administration of prescribed treatments and other therapies.
- Monitors, evaluates and documents Residents prescribed blood sugar levels, blood pressures and weights alerting the Director of Nursing of any findings outside of established normal ranges.
- Collaborates with the Nutrition Consultant and the Dietary Manager in planning for those residents requiring special diets.
- Receives Physician’s orders, updates MAR’s with new medication orders and change orders and communicates same to other staff assisting with medications.
- Coordinates the medication order, re-order, delivery, and verification processes.
- Coordinates all admission, transfer and discharge processes.
- Will be involved in the development of the resident care planning process.
- Monitors all nursing documentation to ensure accuracy, timeliness, and completeness.
- Administers professional services and provides direct hands-on-care as necessary.
- May provide input for annual budget preparation representing the needs of assigned area.
- Maintains professional competencies through education and training.
- Attends all required and assigned trainings.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Director of Nursing to facilitate care and services to the residents of D. Scott Hudgens Center for Skilled Nursing.
- May serve as a member of the Professional Staff Committee, Safety Committee, and the Quality Assurance Committee.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Physical and Sensory Requirements:
- Ability to read, write, and speak English.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands; use fingers; handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk; and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand, and walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, bend, or crawl. Employee is required to lift up to 25 pounds and/or move up to 75 pounds (with assistance). Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Employee may be required to transport (drive) and assist Villagers in and out of vehicles. Employee is required to perform CPR/First Aid.